Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Day 123: Folding Up The Treadmill

Update: 209.0 lbs, 49.2 lbs so far, 38 lb Goal Reached Day 74. - 0.8 lbs to NEW 50 lb goal.

If you ever have one of those dreams where you feel like you're trying as hard as you can, but you're running in slow motion, and whatever is chasing you is most definitely going to get you -- that's how I feel running down this last pound. Just.can't.quite.get.there. If I can squeeze in a ride somewhere today, drink all the water I should, and eat right for the day, Nostradamus Nick may just have some Starbucks on me for his birthday.

Between the rain and the crazy end of the school year schedules, finding time for riding has been getting trickier. The past couple days I haven't been able to get out and really ride, and I'm itching to get back out. Even though I got in 18 holes on Monday, and went out with the Mrs. to the driving range for two hours last night (she's a natural,) it still feels like I haven't really exercised for couple days. Last night I thought "well I do have the old Nordic Track Walkfit out in the garage....," but I just couldn't bring myself to climbing on. In fact, I folded it up the other day to do some cleaning in the garage, and it may just stay that way for a while, tucked away in the corner.

Keep in mind that the old Walkfit was my faithful companion during the early days of my calorie cutback. Every day, or every other day, I'd get out there, fire up some movie or tv show on the computer, and put in 20-30 minutes of walking, working up a big old sweat and really feeling like I had accomplished something. I did accomplish something of course -- prior to that life was pretty much sedentary. But now I prefer to be moving for 60 minutes or more, and usually at 15 mph or better. I think once I finally got off the couch and out the door, I've just appreciated getting out for a little bit, while burning off some calories. I'm pretty sure I'd feel the same about a bike trainer - not really into it as much as being able to just get out and get going.

When you're inside the garage, you miss all the good stuff. You miss the guys who like to drive close and scream at you, the dogs who like to chase you down, the front porch tv watchers, the llamas, the people on motorcycles who pull up and ask if you want to race, the Largest Black Cottonwood in North America, the burn of going uphill, and the thrill of flying down another, and everything else that can happen on a simple little old bike ride. I think the weather may hold out long enough this morning to let me make a quick run at The Loop, and if not, good thing I had them put fenders on!

Hasta!

1 comment:

Michael said...

sounds like you're about to turn the corner from "Fair Weather Rider" to "Hard Core Rider".

Maybe look into gettting a rainsuit.