Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Day 130: Could I Do A Du?

Update: 208.2 lbs, 50 lbs so far, 50 lb Goal Reached Day 124.

In my current contemplation of where to go from here, I had a new wild hair come into the radar. I wonder if I could actually pull of a duathlon? This may be the craziest idea I've let enter my big mushroom-haired head in a long time.

I've never had any desire to compete in any kind of endurance athletics before in my life. I'll be honest, until recently, playing 18 holes of golf would wear on me...and that's with riding in a cart. Going up a flight of steps or two could get me breaking out in a subtle mist, and frankly I think I could work up a sweat just eating. More of a FlabbyMan, than an IronMan for sure.

Lately though, I've really been loving the bike, and getting in 12-20 miles every other day, and sometimes every day, is becoming the norm for me as I continue to work exercise into my normal routine. I still don't love running, and actually can't even really run right now, it's more of a fast walk / job combo thing I've got going on. And forget swimming of any sort, it just ain't gonna happen for reasons too many to list. But since a duathlon is comprised of biking and running I thought maybe, just maybe I could put one of those on the radar for some future date.

I was reading about one in Portland that is 3 miles running, 15 miles cycling, then 3 miles running again. The 15 miles cycling is no problem, I'm doing that now. But the running would take some training, and I don't know how long it would take to get from the burning feeling I have in my lungs now when I run for more than a couple hundred yards, to being able to run 3 miles without stopping. Hmm, now that I put it that way, I'm not sure I even want to go down the path to get from point A to point B there....that's a lot of lung burning in the process. They DO have team duathlon options too...maybe that's the route for me. No pain, no gain and all that.

Anyway, still thinking....

Hasta.

No comments: