Monday, May 14, 2007

Day 100: Oh Momma, Big Food Day

Update: 215.6 lbs, 43.6 lbs so far, 38 lb Goal Reached Day 74. - 7.4 lbs to NEW 50 lb goal.

I know I've taken up a lot of time the past week going on about the love affair with the road bike - so let me return to a topic I am definitely an expert on, food. I expected Easter to be a big food day, and it didn't turn out too bad. There have also been retreats along the way, but they didn't crush me either, but Momma's Day veered me from the path just a bit.

Now, let me just say that I didn't really go nutso at the all you can eat buffet, I just ate more than I wanted too. While on a ride the other night we bumped into The Inlaws who were out walking that had warned us she was bringing Paula Deen's Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding. I made the joke that I'd be sure to get out and ride early in the morning to gain a few extra calories for the day...and brother, good thing I did.

The lunch menu consisted of Michaels smoked brisket and either smoked pork butt or shoulder...which was amazing. Then mashed potatos, potato salad, coleslaw, and cornbread muffins for sides, with the pudding and a dump cake for dessert. (One of my favorite moments of the afternoon was when Michael asked why it was called a dump cake...yeah, it's a family get together...figure out the jokes from there.) I skipped the sandwhich buns and cornbread, (sorry Laura) and just had meat, potatos, potato salad and coleslaw, and just regular sized portions. However, the meat was so good, I did have a second smaller portion, as well as a little more mashed potatos. The kicker was, I had a Butch-sized serving of the PDNYMB Pudding...and it was totally worth it. But that was it for lunch, didn't go overboard, and was feeling satistified, but not stuffed.

However, to celebrate the Survivor finale with some buddies, we also had some decent grub for dinner. The Mrs pulled out this amazing menu for a mexican fiesta which included grilled flank steak, black beans, roasted corn and pepper salad, Mom's homemade salsa, and virgin peach daquiris. Some tasty guacamole from North Keizer also found it's way into the menu as well. Again, the meal wasn't too bad, and I think with lunch, and this dinner, and the 500 calorie buffer from riding in the morning I might have been pushing the limit just a bit, but was close, give or take a couple hundred calories.

The problem came with dessert - Banana Caramel Chimichangas. I can't find a link for that particular recipe, but I think it's very much like these Bananas Foster Chimichangas, minus the rum. Bananas fried in butter and (I think) brown sugar, rolled up in tortillas and fried again. Drizzled with caramel, topped with whip cream, sprinkled with nuts and nuzzled up to a side of ice cream. Good news: I skipped the ice cream and nuts. Bad news: I had two. You know how it is...3 hours of Survivor on a long Sunday night...I was weak. I strayed from the path. If the calories for the Foster recipe come close to what we had, I may have gone over and above my calorie intake for the day by as much as 500-1000 calories. Sweet Mother Of Science!

Back on the bike today, and back to chicken breasts and steamed broccoli. Sorry to give the blow by blow account of my gastrological intake, but man....ouch!

Hasta!

No comments: