Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Day 230: Maggie's Buns

Update: 207.2 lbs, 50 lb Goal Reached Day 124. 9 lbs to 60 lb goal.

I've hesitated posting this blog for the obvious jokes that can come from it...so I'll be careful in my word choices.

This past weekend was supposed to be our annual business partner golf trip, but for a couple of reasons, it didn't happen last minute. Since I had already requested a Sunday away from iglesia, I figured it would be a great time to take my favorite group of Lopi away for a much needed quick vacation. So we loaded up the truck and headed to Forest Grove.

Yeah, "Forest Grove?", you might ask - but there's a good reason...Maggie's Buns. In my preparation for the Hagg Lake section of the ride, I searched out other people online who've ridden that segment to get their experiences. More than once this funky little restaurant showed up as a place that cyclists had stopped at for a refueling snack, or full blown meal. Since I was hoping to get up to Hagg to do a quick pre-ride around the lake, I figured we might try to get to MB for a meal knowing that everyone in our house would love a quaint, funky new place to eat.

As it turns out, they were only open until the afternoon hours on Saturday so after I rode 50 miles that morning, we had to break land-speed records to get there before they locked the door. We were literally the last people they served before locking up, and all through our meal people kept coming to the door. We decided to sit outside, so we even had to knock on the door ourselves a couple times to ask for condiments, napkins, or a to-go box at the end, but I will say that it was worth getting over there.



Our meal consisted of Walnut Crusted Chicken with Asian Noodle Salad, Prime Rib with Coos Coos, three various sandwiches with fresh homemade bread and giant cookies, poppyseed cake, and some toffee cookie thing for dessert. We had plenty to eat, and even though we ate dinner before 4 pm were full enough that we didn't have another meal that night. In fact, we took the desserts with us and ate them in our hotel later that night with some coffee we picked up at Peets after the girls hit Anthropologie in downtown Portland.

And you don't have to believe me, you can read the reviews for Maggie's Buns online - which if nothing else are good for a giggle if you personally know a Maggie yourself. I've intentionally tried to live above the obvious lines here, but the reviews definitely show how people truly love Maggie's Buns....the restaurant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

k im a little late in posting this but I missed this one.

I was just wondering if they served some of those Schweaty Balls up there??