Monday, April 30, 2007

Day 86: I Was Just Being Average

Update: 217.0 lbs, 41.2 lbs so far, 38 lb Goal Reached Day 74. - 8.8 lbs to NEW 50 lb goal.

Huh. All this time I thought I had really been putting down the calories, and was embarrassed to say how many I'd consume in a day -- turns out, I was just being average. My numbers were high enough in the calorie take down, that I figured it was easy to see why I was putting on the pounds over the past 16 years, but it turns out...that's why everyone else is too!

According to The Diet Blog, the average daily caloric consumption for Americans in the year 2000 was 3817, which is up almost 1000 from 1961 when we consumed about 2800 calories a day. Add that together with the fact that so many conveniences and changes in the types of jobs we do have us moving less, and it's easy to see why so many of us are candidates to be the next Jenny Craig spokesperson. (Move over Kirstie, move over Valerie, comin' through....)

If you've been following along, you know a few basic math facts by now. About 3500 calories equals a pound of fat, either stored or burned, and each of us have an average daily number of calories we burn, based on size, age, gender, activity and a whole bunch of other things. Someone my age, size and activity level (before exercise) burns about 2400-2500 calories a day. In 1961, if I threw in just a half hour walk after dinner, I'd pretty much be able to maintain my weight. However, in the years 2000+, at 3800 calories, I'd be taking in enough calories to put on a couple pounds each month, without even thinking about it!

I've said it before, but it's so easy to fill up on $2 anymore, by driving through some place and getting a burger and fries for that much, or you can go the opposite extreme and visit Claimjumpers and have enough food to feed a volleyball team in one plate. I always appreciate sites like The Diet Blog, where you can see what some normal portioned sized meals look like. Not that everyone needs to eat 300-400 calorie meals, but it helps in getting some perspective.

Same thing is true with our weight. After dropping 40 lbs now, you'd think I'd just be happy as a pig in a poke, (are they really happy? and what is a poke?) but the reality is that I'm still considered OBESE! At 5'9" tall and 217 lbs, my BMI (body mass indes) is a 32. Anything over 30 is considered obese. IN FACT, this BMI calculator agress with my doctor, who once told me I should weigh in the 150-165 range to be average. So really, I guess I better plan to lose 100 lbs, and I'm not even half way there yet! Maybe I'll just be happy to hit 200 and see who loves the obese guys.

If you don't want to ruin your day with finding out that you may be overweight, or even OBESE like some of us, don't click this link and put in your stats. Ok, I warned you....

Hasta, Feliz Lunes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy Shniekies!!!!!! 36.6 BMI. I should be dead. Everyone needs to only say nice and slimming things about me at my funeral.