Friday, May 4, 2007

Day 90: Join Me

Update: 216.6 lbs, 41.6 lbs so far, 38 lb Goal Reached Day 74. - 8.4 lbs to NEW 50 lb goal.

This week I told our mid high buddies the story of Danny Wallace, a comedian and writer for the BBC, who out of boredom posted a classified ad that simply said 'Join Me.' He asked people to join his cause by sending in a passport photo of themselves -- not really expecting much to happen.

However, the unexpected happened when in just a few weeks over 4000 people had indeed joined him. The crazy thing was, for a good period of time, they had no idea just what they joined at all! Finally he started getting emails asking their fearless leader what they had lined themselves up with, but even Wallace had no idea what the cause was. Ultimately, he figured he'd better have them do something (or I guess he feared he'd lose his loyal followers..ha!) so he send out the edict that all 'joinees' would perform one random act of kindness the following Friday. Today, Wallace's 'Karma Army' has over 12,000 members who all have pledged to continue on the practice of random kindness to strangers.

I felt a bit like one of the 'joinees' when I started this whole crazy calorie cutback 90 days ago. I'd tried losing weight before, but have always had limited success. As I've mentioned, it's way to easy to just slide back out of the program at any time. Way back in my first post when I essentially joined Kyle Potts army, I didn't fully know what to expect this time out. (Kyle, I promise I'm not stalking you with these references....) If you've been reading, you know I had hoped to replicate what he had done by losing 50 lbs in 3 months, and as of today - 90 days into it - I'm in at just under 42 lbs, so I didn't quite hit it, but it certainly wasn't for lack of trying. I have been vigilant to the cause, faithful to my effort and loyal to my goal.

But the unexpecteds have come out of the cutback. I dreaded the thought of having to get out and exercise again. Now I can say 'I like to move it, move it!' In fact, I forgot a long lost love for riding the bike I had 16 years ago, and have since picked up another, and spent my favorite times of exercise on it. I also didn't expect to get beyond seeing the short term goal and really looking at the long term picture, but I have. YES, I want to hit that 50 lb goal because I think it will be an amazing accomplishment, but I can be patient about it. (Of course you know that means a rant is coming in the next few says when the weight isn't coming off.....don't say I didn't give you fair warning.) I also didn't expect for anyone else to hop on the bandwagon, but a few have - and in fact, we've lost over 62 lbs in our home alone combined...and if you know my wife, you know she never has looked like she needed to. Lastly, I didn't expect to still be successful with the effort for a solid 90 days. It has gone by quickly.

Well, I could go on, but I won't. I wanted to have a big 50 lbs in 3 months post today, but it's still a ways off...probably by 120 days, but who knows. Hopefully I won't freak out too much about it. I'm pleased to be where I am, and happy to look forward from here.

Hasta, homies.

No comments: