Thursday, July 12, 2007

Day 159: What Were We Thinking?

Update: 206.2 lbs, 50 lb Goal Reached Day 124. 8 lbs to 60 lb goal.

"All my bags are packed, I'm ready to's waiting he's blowing his horn....cause I'm leaving on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again..." (actual plane taken with iPhone.)

Well, I'm not sure how it happened, but yesterday, we put our eldest offspring onto a little twin propper, and let her shuttle up to Seattle before heading down to the land where everything is bigger -- good ol' Texas. Before we knew it, she was on the plane, and landing in Seattle before we even got back to our humble abode.

It's kind of tough putting your young teen on a plane for the first time and trusting the Big Guy upstairs to just take care of her, and trusting all the people along the way that are providing her care to also do their very best for the next two weeks. I mean, we've obviously set the standard hopefully everyone else with rise to the occasion too. It's not like the grandmother she's staying with didn't do a decent job with her own mother, or The Mrs' life long friend doesn't have two of her own that she seems to keep alive day after day...but hey, this is our baby they have in their hands now...lets take that responsibility seriously!

And if any kid has earned the right to take a trip like this, it certainly has been her. Anyone who knows her knows she has our complete trust, and is a fine young lady who will do a great job traveling across the country. Plus she's got a sweet T-mobile Dash for her trip to be able to email, text, call and IM....her dad....well, or her mom or whoever, I suppose, but for sure her dad.

To keep in the flavor of the blog, let me just say that getting up at 4:30 to catch a morning flight does not set you up for a great eating day, especially when the Beaverton Bakery Cafe has amazing croissant breakfast sandwiches and Napoleon desserts, which also double as breakfast in a pinch. After the meals there, I was thrown off for the rest of the day, and not only probably had more meatloaf than I should have at church, but finished off the LONG day after midnight with a slice of cold frozen pizza.....what has happened to me?!?!

Oh, one other thing. I was *randomly* selected for an extra-level security check when we got our security badges to go through to the gates as non-flyers. You know me, I'm not a racial alertist when it comes to being brown, but I have been getting a fine farmers tan, which makes me extra brown lately, and of course have been sporting the goatee for years, and if any of the TSA folks have been reading my blog and saw my post about the celebrities I look like, they may have seen my first go around which showed me looking like one of the former Korean dictators and assumed I was no one to be trifled with! At any rate, I skated right through after having air blown up my shorts (actually, kind of a perk I didn't expect) and my wife who didn't get selected, had to be scanned and patted down by a fairly robust momma after trying to smuggle sunscreen into the secured area. That was a good bottle of NoAd we lost right there, I'll tell you that. Also, I'm pretty sure the gal who scanned my pocket items for explosives was darn impressed that I was carrying a real live iPhone with me...I mean, who wouldn't be, right?

Well, that's it for now...remember, the TSA ain't messin' around baby. Leave those liquids and gels at home! Be safe Young Lopi!


1 comment:

Nick said...

seriously dude. Sometimes you just crack me up.

You'll have to IM or email me the number to that dash so i can check in on my niece. and yeah...what were you thinking? :)